Tuesday, November 07, 2006

rainy day people

Da da dooo dedaada dummmm.

Track list:

1. Himalayan Bear - la lonesome island - I swam with turtles

Comments: I find it hard not to love this. So strummy and soothing with the high man singing and the lyrics about creatures, or something. Screw it, I am going to love it. You can't stop me.

2. Their majesties - lands where tales are tall - sweet sweet thunder

Comments: Trying to stick with the water theme here, and thunder tends to signal that I'm about to get wet. Clearly I'm enjoying being a little morose lately, because I've picked another song featuring a guy who can't really sing. But since that's the trademark of every really great band, I can't fault them for choosing the man-who-can't-sing direction. In fact, I applaud it. I like this quite a bit.

3. The Stolen Minks - family boycott - Batman (you're the sex)

Comments: Really this is an excuse to talk about Batman the animated series and how much I love it. Who cares! Oh my gravy, 'you can leave the mask on'? SO TRUE. Stolen Minks, you are awesome. Full stop.

4. Mathias Delplanque - ma chambre quand je n'y suis pas (montreal)

Comments: um, I think he actually set up a recording device in his room and just left for 45 minutes while the ghost of a reggae man messed with his laundry and whistled. Honestly. This is what we call a "soundscape", I believe.

5. Minisystem - madingley - cheddar

Comments: this is for my cousin, who likes cheese. She's too young to be allowed to listen to the station, but spiritually I think she feels the vibe. Plus, this is very danceable and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to play it back for her later, the odds are very slim that it'll cause her to start using crystal meth or something.

6. The Curtains - calamity - World's Most Dangerous Woman

Comments: Lucky bastards managed to land on Asthmatic Kitty, and are therefore beneficiaries of Sufjan and his magic industry love. Which isn't why I'm playing them, but it doesn't discourage me either. There's a reason the man has magic industry love, okay? Most of these bands are really good, as far as I'm aware. They're pleasantly consistent in that respect.

7. No Luck Club - prosperity - Birds on Parade

Comments: ooh, I'm soothed and I keep waving my arms around in interpretive dance fashion against my own will. Who doesn't love that. Perhaps I am biased toward liking these guys, since they have cjsf roots. Who cares. I say you have to use whatever you can to get ahead in this nasty harsh brutal world. Which is currently, for me anyway, flooded with a smooth beat and some panflute-like sounds. Aaah.

8. The Pants Situation - the ugly man - The bigamy was big of you

Comments: I wanted to talk about Britney here, but there was nothing I could say without embarrassing myself quite a bit. Even with the disclaimers I didn't do too well. Whatever, I'm so happy, I hope she comes back with some completely heinous single and a very stupid hat and kicks pop music ass.
The Pants Situation, on the other hand, are actually a good band, and this song has very little to do with Britney's marital situation, but is instead cool and interesting. Thanks TPS. Ha! TPS.

9. Destroyer - we'll build them a golden bridge - Islands in the Stream

Comments: I doubt there's a way I could love this concept more - random songs given the titles of famous songs. I now wish I was a musician so I could do this too. I would have a weird obsessive love ballad called Lady Stardust, and then a rocking power ballad called, um, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. This is the best idea ever. Destroyer, for the 57th time, I love you.

No comments: