Tuesday, July 15, 2008

delightful noises

Hello all, welcome to today's blog about the show, wherein I will list the songs played on Singing with Barbra and give my immediate impressions, whatever they might be.

Just an introduction, in case you're new.

I find you intelligent and charming, with just a hint of jaw-droppingly gorgeous, have I mentioned?

Track list:

1. Team Building - upon st. lawrence - upon st. lawrence

Comments: This is a lovely song, which reminds me greatly of drifting on water. Successful songwriting, that! Quite beautiful, really. It's a bit of a musical journey through a Canadian landmark, if that's your thing.

2. Videotape - my favourite thing - night lights

Comments: This has an awesome culvert-recorded sound, like David Bowie's Heroes, a bit (it always comes back to Bowie for me). Distant vocals, and there is something very nostalgia-inducing about that particular sound. Have you noticed? Anyway, it's also danceable, in a very nice way.

3. Statues - terminal bedroom - husbands and wives

Comments: Dee dee deedeedeedee DEEEEEE! DANCE DANCE DANCE! If only there were a ballroom in my basement full of bedazzled friendly people, I would play them this song. And they would enjoy it heartily.

4. Culture Reject - culture reject - inside the cinema

Comments: Is that... a harmonium? Delicious. Creative percussion also. Always appreciated.

5. Ghost Keeper - and the children of the great northern muskeg - solid gold

Comments: ghost keeper, feeling a little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll. But mostly country. And also some disco, I guess, what with the 'solid gold.' Well, that's what I always think of. Solid gold... jumpsuits! Is that a leap of logic I'm making alone? Oh well.
This is excellent, by the way. Swaggerin.

6. Koak - morningtime stumble - y knot

Comments: This is the song I would play if I was returning to my hometown after a fire had gutted all of my favourite childhood haunts, just to set the mood. Those arc-ing, twangy guitars would punctuate my turning over of bits of wood, and discovering scorched street signs and old rags, and other detritus, with a pained look on my face.
Call me, T-Bone Burnett, I long to be your understudy.

7. Ruby Coast - ruby coast - brittle bones

Comments: Beeps and bleeps done right. Tugging at the heartstrings and pleasuring the eardrums with synthesizer - it's not easy, is it? I mean, so many have tried and failed. It must be a bit of a daunting task, all told.

8. The Hung Jury - 'the windsor scene' live at cjam fm - except the whiskey

Comments: Slightly belligerent songs about liquor consumption, I adore you! This one is predictably fun and mildly mournful, all at once. Oh, you know it's kind of a country song. Please, obviously.

9. Hills Like White Elephants - himalaya - a sword in the circle

Comments: Jangly and slight. Atmostpheric! Echoing and moody! Adjective adjective adjective! I do love a good adjective.

No comments: