Tuesday, March 11, 2008

WTF Reeves!

He has a reputation for brooding and rumours swirl that he's bisexual. Fun for everyone! Your wait to see Keanu at SFU ends on Thursday. No, I am not kidding.
Jennifer Connoly is coming too but I can't say whether she's quite as broody or adventurous, just so you know.

Track list:

1. Better Friends Than Lovers - great loves - nightbus

Comments: Fun and pretty! I can't resist songs about buses.

2. The Trophy Wives - the trophy wives - cake song

Comments: For Lydia. This is a lovely instrumental entry from the trophy wives. So versatile, ladies.

3. The Barmitzvah Brothers - let's express our motives - trailblazer

Comments: I like the everyman vocal and persistent piano. Scat! This is super danceable, which is always welcome.

4. Music for Money - music for money - hymne a la fuite

Comments: Hymn to Flight, as in 'flee, Keanu, flee! Run from the passionately interested college students! They may act too cool for school, but they'll steal your hair gel and sell it on the internet if given half a chance! But seriously Canoe, trust me on this one.'
Also - Music for Money is an awesome Nick Lowe song. Just saying.

5. Sunset Rubdown - random spirit lover - trumpet, trumpet, toot! toot!

Comments: Sort of apocalyptic and windingly gorgeous in its mild dissonance. Solidly grating vocal, which I love. Who originally determined that the apocalypse is best represented by piano? There should probably be a plaque erected, or something. We should not be neglecting the archives like this.

6. The Tom Fun Orchestra - you will land with a thud - rum & tequila

Comments: So much fun, from the raggedy voice to the feverish yet sweet strings and the snazzy, snazzy brass section. I'm delighted, yet again, by these crazy people.

7. Madcowboys - baby steps - the gods don't wear tight jeans

Comments: Grrrrrrr!

8. Fancey - schmancey - let the breeze in

Comments: So optimistic, it's appropriate for a dryer sheet commercial. Not a bad thing - happy happy! Fling those dandelions, small adorable children!

9. The Rocky Fortune - back of the beeside - educated lady

Comments: You heard him young women, stay in school. Otherwise how will you ever discuss Proust with this guy? His brown corduroy jacket calls to you!
I love how this song is like the update of the old blues 'I'm a Man' thing, but intellectualized. Hillary! HA!

10. The Helio Sequence - keep your eyes ahead - hallelujah

Comments: Pretty. And yet...

Okay, absolutely nothing against the HS or anything, but the response (usually in-studio) whenever I put on music that has name recognition always disappoints me just a mite. Disclaimer: I enjoy music like a raccoon enjoys balls of tinfoil. In the moment! I mean, I love Bowie too. But I think it's important to experiment with your preferences and make up your own mind, lest you miss out. You who are casually indifferent until you hear me play something your myriad friends have already branded acceptable? YOU ARE TOO UPTIGHT. JUST DANCE LIKE THERE'S NOBODY HOME ALREADY, ONE DAY YOU WILL BE DEAD SO YOU BETTER DO IT NOW.

It's possible I'm just playing a load of old crap - if so please sulk and give me a big ol' thumbs down through the glass, I just like the feedback.

No comments: